All of us lose some level of sight as we get older. There can be many challenges that you face as a senior citizen and sight loss can be both a frightening and frustrating experience. We want you to know that you are not alone. We want you to know that even though this may be new to you, we will be there each step of the way towards maintaining your independence. We are devoted to building both your confidence and your skill level to ensure success.
You Are not Alone
The Southern Arizona Association for the Visually Impaired (SAAVI) is an organization that has been in Tucson since 1964. SAAVI was started by two blind sisters for blind and visually impaired people to meet in a social capacity. We have changed since then by broadening our services and our service area but we are still very committed to providing the best service possible to blind and visually impaired seniors throughout Arizona.
This page is designed for seniors, family members, caregivers or friends who want to learn about the resources available for blind and visually impaired people in their area. SAAVI works to connect seniors to services that are available and are best suited for each individual. Some of the services for seniors on offer at SAAVI are:
- Independent Living Program:
Our Independent Living program is designed to provide seniors with the skills and confidence to remain as independent as possible. The program is created to guide people, step by step and at their own pace, towards success with their sight loss. Classes are delivered both center based, and in-home training and include:
- Learn alternative methods for reading, including the use of Braille, auditory, and utilizing magnification technology
- Learn new techniques that will assist you in performing activities of daily living including cooking, sewing and other home management skills
- Learn about access technology and computers and how they can help you with communication and accomplishing daily tasks
- Travel where you want, when you want through training in orientation and mobility
- Gain confidence and strength in yourself through support groups and counseling
- Social Clubs and Art and Leisure Classes:
There are a variety of social clubs and art and leisure classes available for seniors at SAAVI that provide the opportunity to meet new people all of whom are blind or visually impaired. From learning ceramics to joining our Alumni group on outings in the community, SAAVI creates a bridge for seniors not only to new resources, but to each other.